Seán is married to Marian Flannery, formerly of the Carmel Hotel, John Street in the city and works as an Independent Project Management Consultant.
They have two children;
Fionn, aged 16 and Caoilfhionn, aged 12.
Educated at St. Finians N.S., Waterville, Co. Kerry, St. Finians College, Mullingar, Waterville Vocational School, Froebel College of Education and Trinity College, Dublin. Holder of an Honours B.Ed. degree.
Seán graduated with an Honours Masters in Science (M.Sc.) Degree in Computing in Education from IT Tralee and Cork IT in 2000.
Seán is a Primary School Principal in the city's Irish language primary school, Gaelscoil Osraí.
Formerly a Learning Support(Remedial) teacher, Seán chaired the Kerry branch of the Irish Learning Support Association for five years.
He is also an active member of the Irish National Teachers Organisation, having chaired the Kilkenny City Branch.
- Selected by Labour Party to recontest Kilkenny Borough Council and to contest a seat on Kilkenny County Council, November 2008.
- Elected to Kilkenny Borough Council, June 2004.
- Elected first Chairperson of Kilkenny Municipal Policy Committee with responsibility for future planning of the city, May 2008.
- Elected member of Labour Party National Executive, November 2007.
- Elected Kilkenny City representative to the Association of Municipal Authorities of Ireland, 2004. Elected to National Standing Committee 2004-2005.
- Elected member of Kilkenny County Development Board, Sep. 2004.
- Elected as Director of Watergate Municipal Theatre, Sep. 2004.
- Selected as Labour Party candidate for Kilkenny Borough Council in Nov. 2003.
- Elected Chairperson of Carlow/Kilkenny Constituency Labour Party-May 2003.
- Member of Charlie Smyth Labour Party Branch, Kilkenny City.
- Elected Deputy President of the Union of Students in Ireland (1986-1987).
- Joined the Labour Party in Dublin Central in 1987.
- Elected National Vice-Chair Labour Youth in 1988.
- Served on Labour Party National Youth Committee from 1988 to 1991.
- Worked with Sen. Joe Costello and Pat Upton T.D., when both were beginning their Oireachtas careers.
- One of the main head office workers in Mary Robinson presidential election campaign in 1990.
- Member of the Labour Party General Council (National Executive) from 1996 to 2003.
- Elected Labour Party's substitute candidate for Munster in the 2000 European elections.